urXron is a “role playing game” campaign, a designation that covers a wide range of possibilities. Here I try to narrow things a bit. Look at the other Campaign Meta Material for additional details.
- This rpg is intended to be primarily a collaborative and disciplined act of story telling. Disciplined means that a character can not suddenly be able to cause miracles or level mountains just because his player wants it.
- Within this discipline, the campaign is a player driven sand box. The players’ characters decisions dictate the situation and scope of the game activities.
- Though the characters are not constrained to run on rails, there are outside events that influence the menu of possibilities.
- In the generation of those outside events the DM is under a bit less discipline than the players, though it is my intent that external events are consistent with the backstory, even if the players might not be aware of just how.
- Characters have physical access to a range of challenges, at least if they are willing to do a bit of traveling.
- Characters have no explicit protections from bad consequences of their decisions. (Unless you think you are ready, pay attention to the “Thar be Dragons” signs.)
- On the other hand, more powerful characters should seek out challenges commensurate with their abilities. Not only does that make for better stories, the less high powered situations are saved to give less developed characters a chance to grow.